UP STATE JOURNAL OF OTOLARYNGOLOGY AND HEAD AND NECK SURGERY
INSTRUCTIONS TO AUTHORS FOR PREPAIRING AND SUBMITTING MANUSCRIPT
The Editorial board of UP state journal of Otolaryngology & Head and Neck Surgery welcomes papers from ENT specialists and our colleagues from other specialties working in the field of Otolaryngology to submit their work in the following categories
- Research papers
- Research article
- Review article
- Short communication
- Mini review
- Case reports
- Book Review
- Descriptions of Research Methodology
- Clinical trial
- Letter to the editor
1. Papers submitted by the authors/ co-authors must be original in nature. No part / parts of the paper are currently sent to any journal, international journal or any other publication company
2. Once the article is submitted the author / co-author are advised not to send the manuscript in any other Journal.
3. Publication in UPJOHNS is free of cost. The Journal does not charge its authors any money either for submission of the article, peer review of the article, DOI allotment or for publication. The entire cost of publication and Webhosting is given by ASSOCIATION OF OTOLARYNGOLOGISTS OF INDA - UP STATE BRANCH.
A. INSTRUCTION FOR PREPARATION OF RESEARCH PAPERS
Manuscripts for original research papers should have the following headings in a single word file:
2. Author's name (s) & affiliation (s)
6. Material & Methods
7. Experimental Section / Observations
8. Results and Discussion
9. Conclusion (optional)
10. Acknowledgements (optional)
1. Title: Title must be informative, specific and short and not exceed 50 characters. Title must be in bold face and capital case having a font size and font style of 16 pt and Times New Roman respectively. It must be followed by one empty line.
2. Authors: The full name(s) of the author(s) and full affiliation (s) of the institutions where the research was done should appear below the title. Author name and address must be in normal face and sentence case having a font size and font style of 12 pt and Times New Roman respectively. It should be followed by 1.5 line spacing. Use the symbols 1, 2, 3, etc., as superscripts to relate the authors to the corresponding address and an asterisk (*) to indicate the author(s) to whom correspondence should be addressed. At the bottom left corner of the title page, please mention *Corresponding Author and provide full corresponding address with designation, functional e-mail address and phone no along with his / her ORCID ID number
3.Abstract: Following the cover page, there should be an abstract page, which should contain the title of paper, the subtitle "Abstract" and a summary of the paper in double space. It should not exceed 150 words in length along, should be typed in single-space. Abstract should describe the essential aspects of the investigation. The text of the paper should start on a fresh page.
4. Key Words: A maximum of 5 key words must be given at the end of the Abstract.
5. Introduction: This part should define the background and significance of the study by considering the relevant literature, particularly the most recent publications. It must be followed by one empty line.
6.Experimental Section / Observations: This section should start as a continuation to introduction on the same page. This section may be divided into subsections if it facilitates better reading of the paper. It should contain information about the materials and the methods used to carry out the experimental work like animals, chemicals and animal ethical committee approval number, software used and procedures followed etc. The procedure adopted should be described in sufficient detail to allow the experiment to be interpreted and repeated by the readers, if necessary. Procedural detail that has been published previously should be referred to by citation. The nomenclature, the source of material and equipment used, with details of the manufacturers in parentheses, should be clearly mentioned. Chemical compounds should be named according to IUPAC or Chemical Abstracts. The units and dimensions should be expressed according to the metric system and SI units. For meter (m), gram (g), kilogram (kg), second (s), minute (m),hour (h), mole (mol), liter (l), milliliter (ml), microliter (μl). A zero has to be used before a decimal. Names of plants, animals and bacteria should be in italics. It must be followed by one empty line.
7.Result and Discussion: This segment should focus on the fulfillment of stated objectives as given in the introduction. All results based on methods must be included. Results should be described as concisely as possible in one of the following ways: text, table(s), or figure(s). Discussion should start with limited background information and then proceed with the discussion of the results of the investigation in light of what has been published in the past, the limitations of the study, and potential directions for future research. It must be followed by one empty line.
A brief Conclusions section is desirable, but not essential. It must be followed by one empty line.
It may briefly include acknowledgement of assistance from: 1) contributors that do not warrant authorship; ii) technical help; and iii) Material support. It must be followed by one empty line.
10. References: References must be as per Vancouver guidelines. The references should be cited at the end of the manuscript in the order of their appearance in the text. References should be numbered consecutively in the order in which they are first mentioned in the text (not in alphabetic order). If more than five authors, the first three shall be listed followed by et al. Use complete name of the journal for non-indexed journals. Avoid using abstracts as references.
Example of Vancouver style of referencing: Gillespie NC, Lewis RJ, Pearn JH, Bourke ATC, Holmes MJ, Bourke JB, et al. Ciguatera in Australia: occurrence, clinical features, pathophysiology and management. Med J Aust. 1986;145:584-90.
11. Figures & Tables: All the tables and figures should preferably be in the text at suitable place (and not all of them at the end). Tables must be created using Word table format using single space. Do NOT use Chem Draw, Isis Draw or Tabs to create tables. Tables must be oriented portrait style on the page and must fit within the margins of a single page. Tables should be numbered consecutively in Arabic numerals and bear a brief title in sentence case, bold face and font size 10. Material in body of table is usually justified on the left-hand side. The font should be Times New Roman and size of 10 pt. Tables should not be very large that they run more than one A4 sized page.
Figures may be embedded in your word document preferably in gif, jpeg format. Figure number and title should be given below the figure in sentence case, bold face and font size 10, the content of the figure should be explained in the title of figure. For drawing chemical structures use Chem Draw with the following settings:
• Text font: Times New Roman, 10 pt
• Fixed length: 0.508 cm
• Bold width: 0.071 cm
• Line width: 0.021 cm
• Bond spacing: 18% of width
• Hash spacing: 0.088 cm
Graphs and bar graphs should preferably be prepared using Microsoft Excel and submitted as Excel graph pasted in Word. Note: For any figures or other materials directly extracted from previously published materials, you must have written permission from the publisher of that material for reprint use. A copy of that permission release must be submitted with your article. It is the individual author's responsibility to attain this permission.
12. Conduct of Animal Study (details on the Ethical section of website)
Authors publishing results from in vivo experiments involving animals or humans should state whether due permission for conduction of these experiments was obtained, from the relevant ethics committees, in the Materials and Methods section. The experimental protocol was approved by Institutional Animal Ethical Committee (IAEC) of Name of College and Place( Letter No.........................................) with CPCSEA Registration No................................... In addition, authors wishing to publish research work involving human studies should also send a notary verified letter of approval from the Ethics Committee or the Institutional Review Board.
Each figure/table should be numbered, titled. The position of figure or table should be placed at appropriate place within the article only.
B. INSTRUCTION FOR PREPARATION OF REVIEW ARTICLES
Review articles should contain up-to-date information providing comprehensive coverage of relevant literature. Review articles should preferably be written by scientists who have in-depth knowledge of the topic. Review article must be of at least 8 pages. Manuscripts comprising reviews and accounts should have the following headings:
2. Author's name(s) & affiliation(es)
5. Table of Contents
A ToC should appear above the Introduction for Reviews article. Headings in Reviews article should follow the hierarchy and style as indicated below. The Introduction should be numbered
1. Primary Heading
1.1 Secondary heading
1.1.1 Tertiary heading
2. Primary Heading
7. Main Headings of Contents: This section can be divided into sub sections.
8. Future prospects: : Should contain a critical review of the manuscript and topic with authors view on the future prospects of the topic. 9. Acknowledgements (optional)
10. References: At least 20 references must be given.
Guidelines for title, authors, abstract, key words, introduction, acknowledgment, references and tables and figures are same as research article.
C. INSTRUCTION FOR PREPARATION OF SHORT COMMUNICATIONS:
Short Communications are short reports of preliminary research findings and findings must be of great significance and urgency, and must contribute to the development or further development of an important area of research. A short Experimental section may be included. It includes preliminary data or studies that did not provide enough information for a Research paper. Manuscripts comprising short communication should have the following headings:
2. Author's name(s) & address(es)
5. Experimental section
6. Results and discussion (combined)
No more than 10 references should be provided. Tables, figures and references are to be arranged in the same way as for research papers. Guidelines for title, authors, abstract, key words, introduction, acknowledgment, references and tables and figures are same as research article.
OTHER IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS:
1. The Manuscripts content should be sent as under:
• It should be submitted in Word, in Times new Roman with a fond size of 14.
• A single word file should consist of content in double space with one inch margin on all sides.
• Kindly ensure that Manuscript has been 'spell checked' and 'grammar checked'
• Use italics for emphasis.
• Use the automatic page numbering function to number the pages.
• Do not use field functions.
• Use tab stops or other commands for indents, not the space bar.
• Use the table function, not spreadsheets, to make tables.
• Use the equation editor or MathType for equations.
• Save your file in docx format (Word 2007 or higher) or doc format (older Word versions)
. • Manuscripts with mathematical content can also be submitted in LaTeX.
2. Accepted Language: English only
3. Publication fees: Free
4. The authors / co-author should ensure that they get appropriate approval from their institutional ethical committee.
5. For Drug Trails publication we need CTRI - Trial registration number and date of registration
6. All the articles will be subjected to Double-Blind Peer Review analysis where reviewers do not know the identity of the author(s), & the author(s) do not know the identity of the reviewer. Further details of the Peer review process are available on the website.
7. Data transparency: All authors are requested to make sure that all data and materials as well as software application or custom code support their published claims and comply with field standards.
8. Undertaking and Copyright:
The manuscript must be submitted with a statement, signed by all the authors, regarding the originality, authorship and transfer of copyright as per the format given. UPJOHNS requests all authors to sign a copyright transfer agreement. This agreement can be downloaded from website and must be sent to UPJOHNS when the manuscript is accepted and scheduled for publication or at the time of submission. All authors must read and agree to the conditions of copyright form and return the signed Copyright Transfer Agreement. This agreement is needed to publish the manuscript.
9. Covering Letter:
All manuscript should contain the covering letter. Format can be found on website. 10. Declaration of Funding (information that explains whether and by whom the research was supported) 11. Submission of Manuscripts:
SOFT COPY of original manuscript to be sent on official email id of the journal email@example.com.
12. Length of the Article: The total length of the paper should not exceed 3000 words (Includes abstract, table, chart, reference etc). Authors are requested to follow the prescribed length. Editors approval may be taken if word number exceeds
13. The authors / co-author are advice to stick to the Plagiarism rules in publication.( Kindly refer to UPJOHNS Plagiarism policies on the website)
14. Gallery Proofs:
Galley proofs would be sent to the corresponding author. It is the responsibility of the corresponding author to ensure that the galley proofs are to be returned without delay with correction (if any). The authors are responsible for the contents appeared in their published manuscripts.
15. Authors will be intimated about the acceptance of their paper before the publication. A letter of acceptance will be issued to all authors after the Peer review process had approved the Paper for publication
16. All the authors will be given a certificate of publication from the Editor of the Journal.
17. For any clarification feel free to contact the Journal office below
Online Manuscript Submission Check List
1. The Manuscript with Abstract & Key words should be submitted as Article file
2. Scanned images of Covering letter and Copyright Transfer Agreement Form duly signed by all authors should be submitted as single file (sequence of authors should be maintained as per title page).this can be downloaded from the website or can be requested from firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Scanned image of Ethical Clearance certificate should be submitted
4. Send the above documents to: email@example.com.
Dr. Rajan Bhargawa
Address: 702, Mansarovar,7/90-D , Tilak Nagar, Kanpur-208002
Contact Number: 9415044093
Dr. Sumit Sharma
Address: 401, Kalyan Apartments, Sector-24, Indira Nagar, Lucknow, 226016 Contact Number: 9839178240